Hookshot Inc wins big at GMAs
And Eurogamer takes home best website yet again
At the MCV Games Media Awards last night it was relative newcomer Hookshot Inc and the men behind it that had to struggle home with an armful of awards.
As well as winning best blog, its writers also got a mention for their work across the games press. Christian Donlan won Specialist Writer (Print), Simon Parkin was named Specialist Writer (Online) and Keith Stuart took home National Newspaper (Writer) for his work on The Guardian.
Hookshot Inc was launched in February by Donlan, Parkin, Stuart and Will Porter to cover downloadable titles.
Eurogamer took home best website for the sixth year running, beating competitors like IGN, CVG and Gamespot UK. The website has won the title every year since the awards launched.
IGN's Keza MacDonald was the first ever winner of the new Games Writer of the Year award, which was judged by writer Tim Lott, and Kieron Gillen was honoured as Games Media Legend.
The event was compèred by comedian Russell Kane, who got a warm reception and later tweeted about the ceremony.
"An inspiring night at the GMA. Real passion and support in the room. Well done, all the winners."
A full list of winners is available below, and a live blog of the event can still be found at the MCV site.
- Games Media Legend - Kieron Gillen
- First annual Games Writer of the Year award - Keza MacDonald
- Specialist Writer (Print) - Christian Donlan
- Specialist Writer (Online) - Simon Parkin
- National Newspaper (Writer) - Keith Stuart
- Mainstream Magazine (Writer) - Matt Hill
- Rising Star - Matthew Reynolds
- Top Tweeter - Steve Hogarty - @misterbrilliant
- Games Magazine - Edge
- Games Website - Eurogamer
- Games Blog - Hookshot Inc
- Games Video - OXM Breakdown
- Games Radio and Podcast - Videogamer.com
- Coverage by a Mainstream Website - Digital Spy
From GamesIndustry.biz Recommendations by Taboola