Sections

Judge suggests Xbox 360 import ban in Motorola case

4GB and 250GB versions of 360 affected, decision now with ITC

The US International Trade Commission's Judge David Shaw, currently presiding over the Microsoft versus Motorola case, has recommended an import ban on the 4GB and 250GB versions of the Xbox 360 S.

According to The Courthouse News Service, Judge Shaw also recommended a cease and desist order to prevent the sale on the consoles and that Microsoft post a bond reflecting 7 per cent of value of already imported Xbox inventory.

Microsoft argued that the decision went against the public interest as it would leave consumers forced to fall back on the PlayStation and the Wii. Shaw dismissed this, and suggested Nintendo and Sony were capable of meeting demand for consoles. Microsoft also argued that the bond was unnecessary, while Motorola called for it to be raised to 100 per cent of the inventory value.

The recommendations are now with the ITC, who can choose to accept or amend them.

It was last month that Judge Shaw found that the console violated four Motorola Mobility patents. The commission is expected to finish its investigation on August 23.

The initial complaint was filed by Motorola in November 2010.

Related stories

Microsoft laying off thousands - Report

Cuts said to be coming mostly from sales force and hitting employees outside the US

By Brendan Sinclair

Xbox One X to sell 17m by 2021 - DFC

Even with 4K TV sales on the rise, Xbox One X will only appeal to a narrow demographic, says David Cole

By James Brightman

Latest comments (1)

Jim Webb Executive Editor/Community Director, E-mpire Ltd. Co.5 years ago
Don't think I've seen one of these cases were the ITC judge agrees to the import ban. Even with hat in mind I still doubt an actual ban will take place.
0Sign inorRegisterto rate and reply

Sign in to contribute

Need an account? Register now.