Close
Are you sure? Are you sure you want to report this comment? I understand, report it. Cancel

Epic: "We do not support the current version of SOPA"

Thu 05 Jan 2012 8:21am GMT / 3:21am EST / 12:21am PST
Legal

Gears Of War developer uses official forum to state its position on controversial bill

Unreal Engine developer Epic does not support the Stop Online Piracy Act, and last night publicly declared its position on the controversial bill.

Dana Cowley, senior PR manager, shared the information on the company's official forum.

"Epic Games supports efforts that would stop overseas websites profiting from pirating our games, but we have to do that in a way that's compatible with freedom of speech and due process of law," she stated.

"Thus, we do not support the current version of SOPA."

Cowley added that Epic is part of the the ESA, a trade organisation that supports SOPA and which she described as "working with legislators to refine the bill."

The bill is controversial as, while designed to allow copyright holders to shut down sites hosting torrents or pirated material, the extent of its reach and the power it would give those copyright holders has led some to argue that it would actually violate the First Amendment.

Sony and Nintendo recently removed their company names from a list of supporters, while EA has made clear that while it supports the theory behind the bill, it does agree with the current version.

A number of prominent tech companies such as Google, Yahoo! and Facebook have expressed opposition to SOPA, and anarchist group Anonymous recently threatened Sony for its apparent support of the bill.

6 Comments

Wesley Williams
Quality Assurance

133 72 0.5
*applause* Now put some pressure on the ESA to ammend their stance.

Posted:2 years ago

#1

Atilla Hulsebos
Senior Editor / Tech

6 6 1.0
I think that part about EA was meant to say "it doesn't agree with..."? afaik EA released a statement they had no opinion (but is a member of ESA which is in support of SOPA).

Sony/Nintendo removing their names is definitely incorrect, they were never on that list. They did sign the letter asking congress for some kind of legislation, but that was before SOPA/PIPA.

Posted:2 years ago

#2

Terence Gage
Freelance writer

1,288 120 0.1
"while EA has made clear that while it supports the theory behind the bill, it does agree with the current version."

This reads wrong. Did you mean to say "it doesn't agree with..."?

Posted:2 years ago

#3

Andrzej Wroblewski
Localization Generalist

102 69 0.7
There's a simple solution to eliminate 90% of piracy.

1) Get rid of marketing/sales parasites feeding on other people's work
2) Use 25% the money saved to invest in content creators and authors, and the remaining 75% to cut down prices 50%
3) Profit +100%

Three groups of people benefit from computer game sales: authors, publishers, and salesmen (corporations, retail chains). While publishers manage to maintain their profits (at least bigger ones), authors are being forced to accept less and less. The third group, however, has the most leverage over the rest -- and it's their actions that have the most negative impact on both the end customer, and the author (since publishers have no other choice -- they have to look for cost-cutting somewhere to maintain profitability).

There's a dire need of an international government-supported agency which could efficiently limit their overgrown apetites for margin, and finally put an end to malpractices like overdue payments... Chains' actions are nothing less than unfair market practices -- and if you're wondering who actually invented and advocates SOPA -- it's the marketing and sales scourge, the unproductive tick feeding on the free market -- with so much power already, that they're even able to manipulate not only the law, but also legislation.

Posted:2 years ago

#4

Tyler Moore
Game Designer & Unity Developer

52 14 0.3
Well said Epic

Posted:2 years ago

#5

Tony Johns

520 12 0.0
To stop piracy, scrap the DRM and implement copy protection against burning manufactured disks on DVD burners and burning software.

Update copy protection software monthly.

So therefore when the software of getting past copy protection comes out, it would already be a month or two when the game has already been avaliable.

So therefore not much of the market has been stolen by that time when most copies of the game has already been sold.


Also...NEVER rely on the government to draft a bill, because they will always get it wrong and people who are voted into power and mostly NEVER really knowledgeable about Information Technology.

If you rely on government to do the job for you, you will mostly end up unsatisfied by their stupidity.

Posted:2 years ago

#6

Login or register to post

Take part in the GamesIndustry community

Register now